Method Community

how to auto populate the city and state

Last post 09-23-2015 2:10 PM by Method_Morty. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-22-2015 2:21 AM

how to auto populate the city and state

In the interest of saving time and repetition im trying to see if its possale to :

from the new customer screen fill in all the regular info 

name

address

then auto populate city  and state from  the postal code entered in. How is this done?

Hope this makes sense.

• 09-22-2015 9:46 AM In reply to

Re: how to auto populate the city and state

Hey Kevin,

This can be done in Method:CRM.

What will need to be done is after entering the postal code, on a 'Lose Focus' event we will execute 'Call a Web Service' action.

In the call we will pass the postal code to the web service and making sure 'WebService Returns a Response' is checked, it will pass us back the parameters we need. Then we take those parameters (City, State) and update fields on screen with that data.

After some research I did find a webservice that does just this, http://www.webservicex.net/uszip.asmx - specifically the function: GetInfoByZIP. (note: this maybe restricted to US zipcodes)

For an example of how the Call Webservice action works take a look at THIS thread here. 

Let me know of the outcome :).

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
    Method:CRM
  • 09-23-2015 1:00 AM In reply to

Thank you for youre timly response.

But I think i need a step by step on how to do this for what im trying to accomplish .Im kind of new to customizing.

the example almost helped. it seems like it would be a easy cusomize but im stuck on the vaues and parameters of what to put. A visual example of  one would be helpful.

and thanks again

• 09-23-2015 2:10 PM In reply to

Hey Kevin,

I can't get into too much detail and break it down to you step by step. Reason being the service you will be using to retrieve that information will be a 3rd party service. Like the example I posted in my original reply. Those services are not always free and/or have licensing factors and this maybe the issue with the original example I posted.

Using our Help Center article 'Call Web Service' you can get some further information. But to put you in the right path in terms of the parameters as per the the Help Center article: 'Add any parameters to the web service call in the order in which they are sent to the web service.' in your case depending on which service you use to retrieve the data if they return back both State and City then you would have two parameters to hold that information to use as Action Results.

Also THIS thread on showing an example of the Web Service being used is great in explaining and it also has steps/screenshots.

Lastly as you stated you are new to customization, I would suggest the first course of action is start by watching our customization webinars, having a strong customization foundation will help you put together different areas of the platform.

Take a look at our customization webinars here: LINK. 

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
    Method:CRM
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)