Method Community

Re: Can a field data type on a screen be html?

Last post 10-07-2013 4:20 PM by Method_Adam. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2013 3:25 PM

Method Team,

Can a field data type on a screen be setup to be in html format?  If so, I am guessing it would launch you onto the site.  If not, is there another action I can use to link you to the site?

Can you please explain how to setup either option or let me know it is not an option that is available to us.

Thanks,

VLocke

• 10-07-2013 9:52 AM In reply to

Hi Vicki,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  

We do have the Create Short Method URL action that you can use.  What I'm not understanding is why you'd want to have a DataType to link you to the site?  If you are already on the site, why would you need to link to it?  If this is for an email template or transaction template, the Short URL is what you are looking for I think.

If I'm way off base with this, can you explain the process a bit further?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 10-07-2013 10:41 AM In reply to

Hi Adam,

Sorry I was not being clear.  I want to add a website address to the New Customer screen.  We would like to be able to launch to the customers website from the New Customer screen or the Edit Customer screen.  The customer will also become part of the companies website so they will be assigning the member a url to their part of the website.  So they would like to add another field in url format to link them to their part of the companies website.  So maybe it's not a field type that I need.

Another question - I know the website field is available from the Contacts table - so I have linked the Contacts table to the Customer table.  Now I see the field and have moved the website field onto the New Customer screen.  The website field is not saving.  So do I need to add an action to save the data from the screen to the website field or tell the Save button to save that field?  Neither seem to work the way I have tried.  I am also not clear if I ask the information to be Saved to the Contacts table or the Customer table.  I need to recall it when I get to the Customer Edit table.

PLease let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

VLocke

• 10-07-2013 4:20 PM In reply to

Vicki,

There are two ways to achieve the hyperlink you are looking for. 

The first way:

1. Save the hyperlink code into an action result.  I used <a href="*"  target="_blank">*</a> . The "*" are place holders for the actual web address.
    2. Use a character function to replace the * with the website address.
    3. Take the action result from the character function and enter it into a Label field on screen. 
    This will show the label as a link and when clicked, will load the webpage in a new tab. Depending on your needs, I guess you can save this value into a field into the customer table to use on the Edit Customer screen also.

The other option is to use the Load Web Page action. The Facebook and Twitter icons on the CRM_Contacts page use this function and load the Twitter and Facebook pages based on the values entered into those fields.  You can reverse engineer those actions to fit your needs.

As for the website field itself, its a linked field to the Contacts table, which is why it won't save. When clicking save on the Edit Customer screen, it is saving to the Customer table, not the Contacts table. My suggestion would be to put in a Website field on your Customer table. After text is entered and saved, you can update the Contacts website field with the same value.  I had a post from a while back that addressed a similar issue with the title field. That post can be found here: Title field in New Lead screen.

Hope this helps,

- Adam
    Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)